Welcome to Drama with a Difference!
Drama and Acting Classes Melbourne
- Clifton Hill – Council Street Studio, 3 Council Street, Clifton Hill (five minutes up the road from previous venue – The Theatre Husk, Northcote) [VIEW MAP]
- Blackbox Theatre, Blackhall/Kalimna Campus, Preshil school, 26 Sackville Street, Kew [VIEW MAP]
Join us on Facebook
Do you want to perform in the
Melbourne International Comedy Festival?
- In Block 1, 2016, both Adult Intensive Groups (Monday and Tuesday streams) will prepare a performance of It’s Complicated – a series of scenes about life’s complications! – for the Comedy Festival. See Adult Weekly Classes for more information.
- In Term 1, 2016, the Children’s Class will prepare a performance of The Suitcase Kid for the Kids Comedy section of the Comedy Festival. See Children's Term Classes for more information.
RECREATIONAL DRAMA – for PERSONAL AND/OR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- A supportive and safe environment
- An environment which will get you in touch with the power of your imagination – an invaluable tool for people from all walks of life
- A range of classes for all ages and levels (see the menu to view details)
- An understanding of the uses of drama for a wide variety of purposes and outcomes
- A history of past students who reinforce how much our classes have helped them gain self esteem, self understanding, confidence and personal charisma – all of which have greatly assisted them as individuals (see Testimonials)
- A fantastic starting point if you are thinking about going further with acting at some stage (even in the near future)
- The opportunity to perform in one of Melbourne’s major theatre festivals.
FOR ACTORS AND ASPIRING ACTORS
If you are an aspiring actor of any age, it is important that you let us know. Casting agents often contact us for various roles.
- See Students of note.
- Adults interested in taking acting further should look at our Intensive Adult Acting Courses.
- Teenagers attending on Mondays at Clifton Hill work on a play for presentation towards the end of 2015.
- Teenagers attending on Thursdays at Kew will work on scenes for film and TV with an experienced film and TV actress/teacher.
- Children attending in term 1, 2016 (Clifton Hill) will work on a piece for performance at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
For aspiring actors and/or students who are interested in related areas (eg: production, directing, casting, stage management, camera work etc.) we offer the following:
- A solid 20-year history
- An impressive industry record – our students have worked in major and smaller roles in almost every Australian TV show over 15 years, many feature films, and for most major theatre companies – including several overseas (see Students of note)
- A genuine list of well-known past and present students for whom Drama with a Difference was the launching pad into the industry (see Students of note)
- Integrity – a grounded and realistic approach to people wishing to be actors – we present a realistic picture of the industry
- Inspiration and encouragement – as much assistance as possible in helping you realize your dreams
- Genuine connections with major casting consultants, producers and agents – as a highly respected drama school, these people contact us on a regular basis for suggestions – including children and teenagers (see Students of note)
- Experienced teachers who possess hands-on experience as actors / directors / agents.
Production Group – new!!
This group is open to adults and teenagers aged 15 plus. It involves taking part in a full-length production of a play, over a season of sixteen shows.
Although you do not have to harbour a desire to become an actor, this group is especially useful for people who are interested in the possibility of professional acting. It will run as a semi-professional company, and we will invite casting consultants, agents and other industry professionals to the shows.
The group will meet each Sunday – starting on 21 February, with several breaks in the year. You will not be required every Sunday, as rehearsals will be divided into scenes. However, as the opening of the show season gets closer, the rehearsal time commitment will increase.
The season of the show will commence on Saturday 6 August.
We have two web pages with identical information about the Production Group:
- Teenagers – see the Teenage Production Group web page. From this page you will also see links to other Teenage classes.
- Adults – see the Adult Production Group web page. From this page you will also see links to other Adult classes.
Email Michele Williams: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you require assistance with an audition or speech, please email directly to discuss private lesson rates and to organise times.
- For teenagers looking at acting and/or its related industries, we can assist with advice, audition preparation etc. for major drama schools. We have assisted young people to gain entry via audition preparation into some of the world’s most prestigious acting schools.
- If you wish to book a session to discuss the best way of approaching agents etc. this can also be arranged.
Film and TV Workshops + SHORT COURSES
Film and TV Workshops with casting links for all ages are offered at various times in the year. In 2016 we are offering the following film and TV workshops and courses:
- Teenagers – Film and TV Weekend Workshop, January school holidays, 16–17 January 2016
- Adults – Six-week Film and TV Acting Intensive Course – Saturdays 1pm – 4.30pm, 7 May – 1 June 2016
- Children – Film and TV Acting Weekend Workshop, 17–18 September 201)
These workshops and classes feature guest teachers from the industry who are highly experienced in casting / acting / directing (see Guest teachers)