Welcome to Drama with a Difference!
Drama and Acting Classes Melbourne
Main Teaching Location: The Theatre Husk, 161a Heidelberg Road, (Northcote/Fairfield border) [VIEW MAP]
Other Teaching Location: Blackbox Theatre, Blackhall/Kalimna Campus, Preshil school, 26 Sackville Street, Kew [VIEW MAP]
Join us on Facebook
Drama with a difference 2014
Welcome to Drama with a Difference 2014. We are the only resident drama school at The Theatre Husk, 161a Heidelberg Road, Northcote, Melbourne (see Map). The Theatre Husk is also the home of Winterfall Theatre Company. The space is an intimate theatre that seats 60 people and is equipped with a professional lighting and sound system.
In 2014, the focus at Drama with a Difference is performance.
Melbourne International Comedy Festival performances 2014
Would you like to perform in the Melbourne International Comedy Festival 2014?
In Block 1, 2014, our Monday night and Tuesday night Adult Classes will work towards a performance at the Comedy Festival. See the Adult Weekly Classes page for more information.
We will still teach all the valuable skills of acting and the subjects as listed on the relevant weekly class pages. They will form part of the rehearsal process, and you will have the opportunity to put the skills you’ve learnt into action on stage! You can participate in the festival performances at whatever level is comfortable. Some students love to take on large roles, while others prefer a series of smaller ones.
We enter theatre festivals as a drama school, and audiences appreciate the courage and bravery this takes, and the atmosphere is always supportive, and comment on the high standards achieved. We are highly skilled at bringing together a wide cross-section of people on stage.
DRAMA AS PERSONAL AND/OR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- A supportive and safe environment
- An environment which will get you in touch with the power of your imagination – an invaluable tool for people from all walks of life
- A range of classes for all ages and levels (see the menu to view details)
- An understanding of the uses of drama for a wide variety of purposes and outcomes
- A history of past students who reinforce how much our classes have helped them gain self esteem, self understanding, confidence and personal charisma – all of which have greatly assisted them as individuals (see Testimonials)
- A fantastic starting point if you are thinking about going further with acting at some stage (even in the near future)
- The opportunity to perform in one of Melbourne’s major theatre festivals.
PRIVATE LESSONS FOR RECREATIONAL/WORK-PLACE PURPOSES
- If you need to prepare a speech for a wedding, do a presentation at work, or require private lessons for any other reason, please get in touch with us.
- People have attended a series of private classes to build confidence, prepare for a session in court, overcome particular negative modes of relating, pass the practical interview aspect of a professional exam etc. Simply email your requirements / questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIVATE LESSONS – VCE Monologue Training
We offer expert tuition to any VCE student whose VCE drama subject includes monologue presentation. For more information email email@example.com
FOR ACTORS AND ASPIRING ACTORS
Students who wish to become professional actors will benefit enormously from taking part in the performances.
In 2013, we are going to go to great lengths to formally invite casting consultants and agents to our shows. We know most of them personally and they understand that not all of our students want to be actors! But if you do want to be an actor, let us know so that we can draw their attention to you.
FILM AND TV CLASSES
- During the times of the year that don’t involve preparation for a live performance, we include classes in Film and TV.
- We also provide one off weekend TV workshops that last for one and sometimes two days, depending on the demand. These specialized workshops occur later in the year, and include sessions with
- Guest teachers from the industry who are highly experienced in casting / acting / directing (see Guest teachers)
APPROACHING AN AGENT – SHOW REEL – PRIVATE TUITION
One of the first steps in becoming an actor is finding an agent. Most good agents will want to see a show-reel before taking you on as a client. A SHOW REEL consists of a series of scenes and/or monologues, edited together onto a DVD. It is important to know what kind of pieces to look for, and to understand the requirements of length, genre and character.
We understand what agents and casting consultants are looking for in terms of new applicants. It is not necessary to spend thousands of dollars making ‘slick’ show reels. The most important thing is to present yourself in the best possible light, by selecting pieces that you would feasibly be cast in. The requirements of show reels are quite specific and we have the expertise to help you present the best possible show reel to an agent.
After a series of private lessons that involve perfecting a series of short pieces, we send you to a professional film-maker who has broadcast quality equipment and a studio. His fees are extremely reasonable. He will film and edit together your show reel, and you will have saved a great deal of time and therefore money, by having the scenes polished prior to filming.
We can also help you with cover letters, setting out a CV (even if you don’t have a lot of experience!) and with a list of people – agents and casting consultants – to approach.
For further details, please email Michele Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIVATE LESSONS – FOR ASSISTANCE WITH ENTRY INTO MAJOR FULL TIME DRAMA SCHOOLS
If you are interested in auditioning for full time drama schools such as NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art), the VCA (Victorian College of the Arts), or WAAPA (Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts), we can assist you with monologue/audition preparation. Many of our students have gone on to train at major full time schools, not only in Australia but also overseas, where they have gained entry into prestigious schools such as the Juilliard School in New York and the Royal Academy in London.
There are other university drama courses in Australia that have a practical as well as academic component, where an audition forms a part of the selection process.
For information about costs, hours required, time-slots etc. please email email@example.com
- A solid 20-year history
- An impressive industry record – our students have worked in major and smaller roles in almost every Australian TV show over 15 years, many feature films, and for most major theatre companies – including several overseas (see Students of note)
- A genuine list of well-known past and present students for whom Drama with a Difference was the launching pad into the industry
- Integrity – a grounded and realistic approach to people wishing to be actors – we present a realistic picture of the industry
- Inspiration and encouragement – as much assistance as possible in helping you realize your dreams
- Genuine connections with major casting consultants, producers and agents – as a highly respected drama school, these people contact us on a regular basis for suggestions – including children and teenagers. (see Students of note)
Experienced teachers who possess hands on experience as actors/directors/agents